I know. Sugar cravings are sometimes really difficult to ignore. What I find even more tough is that so many sugar-laden goodies are way-easily accessible. They are everywhere; which makes it much harder to ignore that craving for the sweet stuff. Wouldn’t you agree?
Do you have cravings for sugary snacks?
Maybe slumps around 10am and 3pm where all you want is a big ol’ Oh Henry?
Well, you’re not alone.
But, giving into temptation and loading up on simple carbohydrates (ie., sugar) may only give your body a short term energy boost but will always leave you feeling hungry and craving for more.
Today, I wanted to offer up a few simple tips to stop a sugar craving so you can be better prepared for when the nasty happens.
Check these out:
- Replace with a piece of fruit such as a pear or a handful of berries. Not only are they delicious and satisfying but they are super-easy as you don’t have to peel them. Keep a couple of pieces of fruit in the house for when those sugar cravings hit. Fruits are naturally sweet and full of fiber and nutrients. You can bring them to work and have a few fresh pieces for the kitchen but keep in mind that you don’t want to go overboard on the fruits. Only have one when that craving hits and no more than one per day.
- Get some fresh air. When you feel a sugar craving coming on, get outside and go for a walk. If you are at work, take a 10 minute break if you can and take your mind off of the food.
- Make sure you’re eating enough and regularly. If you’re not having three meals a day, you may be having a craving because your body is low on sugar. Increase your protein at every meal and add in some activated almonds or another type of nut if almonds aren’t your thing. I love my western omelette for breakfast and it keeps me going right through till lunch.
- Get rid of those foods that truly tempt you. Do your pantry and fridge cleanse and get rid of all the sugary treats. And, when you do your groceries, make your list of items you need before going and make sure you stick to that list. When you finish your shopping, get to the cashier and pay for it right away instead of hanging out in the bakery or candy section. But you don’t go down those aisles anymore, do you?
- Get good at reading labels and figuring out how much sugar is in everything. You really need to be aware of what is in the food you are purchasing. Being informed is the best place to start and as you get better at reading labels and recognizing good from bad, it will get easier…I promise.
- Eat more fat. If you aren’t lactose intolerant, satisfy those cravings with a hot chocolate made with full-fat milk, some raw cocoa powder, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a touch of stevia. It is really delicious and does the trick for me. Try an avocado in your smoothie with a handful of berries and some coconut milk. And of course, everything goes better with cheese. Can I get an AMEN from all the cheese-lovers!
- And finally, don’t forget that multivitamin. Whether you think it helps with cravings or not…it does!
What about you? How do you stop a sugar craving when it hits?